What To Know About Mold Testing
Mold Testing in Sun City, Az
Reasons You Should Test Your Property For Mold
If you find green spores or notice a musty smell in your home, then you may have a mold problem. A mold assessment can help you find out for sure whether this fungus is in your Sun City/Sun City West/ S.E. Surprise, house.
1. You Find Evidence of Mold
Not every fungus in your home is dangerous. What you think is mold could actually be relatively harmless mildew. A test can determine whether mold is actually present.
2. You Want To Identify the Mold
Mold tests can also identify the exact type of fungus in your home. This can help you determine what to do next. If the test identifies black mold, you need to have the spores removed immediately.
3. You Want To Make Sure the Mold Is Gone
After hiring mold remediation professionals to eliminate the fungus from your home, you should confirm that they have done their job. A mold assessment can determine whether your house is truly clean.
Ways To Test for Mold
There are several different types of mold tests available. Surface tests check household surfaces for mold, and air tests collect samples from the air. There are also bulk tests that collect various items from the house and send them to a lab for further examination. Ideally, you should utilize all of these tests.
Some test kits are available in stores. However, to determine the exact extent of your mold damage, you should have an environmental hygienist or certified mold specialist perform the tests.
A mold assessment can determine whether your home has a potentially harmful fungus or the less dangerous mildew. The test can also reassure you that remediation professionals have removed all of the mold from your property. While store-bought mold kits are available, you are better off hiring inspectors to do the testing.
How To Know Whether You Have a Shower Leak
How To Know Whether You Have a Shower Leak
A bathtub leak can quickly damage the floors and walls of your Surprise, Az home. You thus need to regularly inspect your shower and bathtub for signs of damage. Otherwise, your house may sustain extensive flooding that necessitates water damage remediation experts.
Shower pans are particularly problematic. A shower pan leak can manifest itself in many ways. Damage to any of the below areas may be evidence of this type of leak:
- Above living rooms
- Above slabs
- Over the crawlspace
Understanding Shower Pans
The shower pan is a liner between the sub-floor and the tile. It is typically made of plastic. Poorly installed shower pans may leak right away. Pans that are at least 30 years old may cause problems, as well.
Identifying Shower Leaks
A shower or bathtub leak often appears in the drain area first. This should thus be the first place you check during your inspection.
Next, look at the crawlspace. If you notice soggy wood or dripping white stalactites, you may have a leak in the shower pan.
You should also inspect any nearby wood trims or baseboards for possible water stains. Closets backed up to the shower must be checked, as well.
As you inspect the closet, remove any items stored against the wall alongside the shower. Wet carpeting inside the closet is another potential warning sign. Finally, if the shower is on an upper floor, look for water stains on the ceiling below the bathroom.
While the pan is the most difficult part of the shower to replace, it is not the only potential source of leaks. Be sure to check all the components regularly for any signs of excess water.
Of course, identifying a shower or bathtub leak is just part of the process. Once you determine that the leak exists, have a plumber fix the problem right away. Paying for this minor plumbing expense now will save you money on extensive restoration in the long run.
WASHING MACHINE WATER DAMAGE
Washing machines are one of the most common sources of water damage in the home, and the damage can be costly, reaching potentially thousands of dollars.
Since each washing machine has multiple ways of causing water damage with multiple components that break down, below are some things that most commonly cause leaks:
- Plugged floor drain, before disassembling your washing machine, check that the floor drain is clear of debris like lint that can build up over time. Water on your floor may be the result of a clogged drain and not an issue with the washer itself.
- External supply hoses, start a fill cycle on your machine and look for drips around the water supply connection hose. If the hoses themselves seem to be free of corrosion or rust but are still dripping, try replacing the internal washers to create a tighter seal.
- Internal hoses, if the supply hoses are not leaking, check the internal hoses that connect the inlet valve to the tub by opening the washer cabinet. Cracked or perforated hoses may be the problem.
- Seals, normal wear and tear can cause door boot seals to crack or rip. If your machine is leaking during either the fill or agitation portion of the wash cycle, damaged tub seals could be the cause and will need to be replaced.
If you experience water damage in your home because of a faulty washing machine, call SERVPRO of Sun City/Sun City West/S.E Surprise 623-546-1930.
WATER DAMAGE: THE SCIENCE OF DRYING Water
When faced with water damage, we might instinctively reach for towels to dry the wet. We might add fans to aid the process. However, there is actually a science to the drying process. The knowledge of psychrometrics, the dynamics of moist air, is critical to lower the chances of secondary damages. Your IICRC certified and trained technicians at SERVPRO of Sun City/Sun City West/S.E. Surprise, know the steps to take when your business or residence experiences water damage:
- First, we’ll conduct an inspection to detect what material(s) are wet
- Next, we’ll measure how much moisture is in those wet components and monitor whether the materials are drying properly.
- Additionally, we’ll "speed up" the process by using professional drying equipment. While a wet building can often dry naturally, it might do so unevenly, inadequately or might take too long…all allowing for secondary damages to occur.
SERVPRO of Sun City/Sun City West/ S.E Surprise has the knowledge, advanced equipment, and the technology, DryBook (a proprietary tool that provides real-time documentation, updates on the drying process, and confirms industry drying requirements are met) to ensure that your water damage is mitigated. We’ll make it “Like it never even happened.”
Arizona's Light Shows, Lightning Facts
Arizona's Lightning Show
Lightning can be beautiful to see, but very dangerous. According to the US Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), an average of 60 people every year are killed by lightning, and hundreds more are severely injured. Many times these injuries are due to misinformation.
Here are a few most common myths about lightning:
Myth: If it's not raining there is no danger from lightning.
Fact: Lightning can occur up to 10 miles outside of a rainstorm.
Myth: If you are inside, you are 100% safe from lightning.
Fact: A home or business is a safe place to seek shelter from a thunderstorm, as long as you avoid conduits of electricity, including phones with cords, electrical appliances, wires, TV cables, computers, plumbing, metal doors, and windows.
Myth: Lightning never strikes the same place twice.
Fact: Lightning often strikes the same place repeatedly. For example the Empire State Building gets hit at least 100 times per year.
Myth: A lightning victim is electrified. If you touch them, you'll be electrocuted
Fact: The human body does not store electricity
Grilling Safety Tips
Grilling Safety Tips
Before firing up your grill.
- Keep your grill at least 10 feet away from any structure 5 feet away.
- Clean your grill regularly
- Check for gas leaks
- Keep decorations away from your grill
- Keep a spray bottle of water handy
- Keep a fire extinguisher within a couple steps of your grill and know how to use it.
- Never turn on the gas while the grill lid is closed it causes gas to build up inside your grill, and when you do light it and open it, a fireball can exploded in your face.
- Never leave the grill unattended. Fires double in size in minutes. Plan a head so that all of your other food prep chores are done and you can focus on grilling.
- Don't load your grill with food. This applies especially to fatty foods. The basic reason for this tip is that if too much fat drips on the flames at once, it can cause a large flare-up that could light nearby things on fire
- Never use a grill indoors. People often think it will be safe to use a grill, especially a small one, indoors. NOT TRUE. in addition to the fire hazards, GRILLS RELEASE CARBON MONOXIDE, the deadly colorless, order-less gas. That gas needs to vent in fresh air or it can kill you, and your family and pets.
- For more safety tips contact your local fire department.
SERVPRO OF Sun City/Sun City West/Southeast Surprise is an Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) Certified Firm.
IICRC Certified Firms must:
• Require a continuing education program to keep technicians up-to-date on the latest changes in the industry.
• Maintain liability insurance to protect all parties in the event of an accident.
• Maintain a written complaint policy and agree to Better Business Bureau or similar arbitration to resolve disputes, and accept the conclusions and recommendations of arbitration.
• Present accurate information to consumers and conduct business with honesty and integrity.
• Require a technician on all jobs who has been formally trained and passed all required tests.
The water damage restoration field changes rapidly with advancements in technology and science, and therefore the standards must evolve to keep pace. Every five years, the standards of the IICRC are reviewed and updated accordingly.
We are here for you 365 days a year.
SERVPRO of Sun City/Sun City West/S.E. Surprise is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage. We Answer the Phone Ready to Help!
We specialize in water damage restoration—in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO of Sun City/Sun City West/ S.E. Surprise Representative will ask several questions:
Your name and contact information
Your insurance information (if applicable)
The street address of the water-damaged home or business
When did the flooding or water damage occur?
What caused the water damage (if known)?
Is there electricity available (on-site)?
When Monsoons strikes
SERVPRO of Sun City/Sun City West/Southeast Surprise wants our residents to stay safe, When the National Weather Service issue a flash flood watch with an increase in rainfall in our area, you may come across dangerous roadways. If the water on the road looks deep, or you have any doubts and there is a concern for crossing, please find an alternative route to drive. Please do not drive through flood waters, TURN AROUND, DON'T DROWN.
Why Cleaning Your Commercial HVAC System is Important
Cleaning HVAC System
According to the NACDA—The HVAC Inspection, Maintenance, and Restoration Association, “if your ducts look dirty, they probably are.” By conducting routine air duct cleanings, you will be able to fully inspect your air ducts for leaks, HVAC effectiveness, and overall indoor air quality.
Air Duct Cleaning Improves the Quality of Indoor Air
By routinely having your air ducts cleaned you can significantly decrease the number of airborne molecules in your office, all while avoiding weighty fees for other air purifying solutions. Air ducts, like everything else in our office, collect dirt and debris. While filters may catch a lot of streaming debris, there is still a considerable amount of dust that settles within the ducts.
Air Duct Cleaning Conserves Energy
Air duct cleaning provides a beginning in optimizing your duct function while providing the opportunity for other issues to be assessed. A properly and thoroughly cleaned HVAC system, not just the air ducts, can reduce the costs associated with running your HVAC system and increase the useful life of your air conditioner and furnace. EPA research suggests that cleaning dirty cooling coils, fans and heat exchangers can improve the efficiency of cooling and heating systems and lower the energy costs of running your heating and cooling system. In administering frequent commercial air duct cleanings, all parts of your HVAC system will be refreshed. This will allow your systems to work better, faster, and more efficiently, all while using less energy!
Air Duct Cleaning Will Save You Money
Having your air ducts regularly serviced lower your energy bill, but it will also prolong the life of your HVAC system. Energy Star estimates indicate that you can improve the efficiency of your HVAC system by 20 percent or more simply by cleaning your ducts.
If you are looking for commercial duct cleaning, please give SERVPRO of Sun City/Sun City West/SE Surprise a call at 623-546-1930, and let us help save your company money.